[c-nsp] MPLS and IPSEC co-working (reviving an old thread)

Christopher Hunt chunt at reachone.com
Fri Oct 17 19:27:51 EDT 2008

Luan,
Thanks for your excellent and detailed reply.  I was able to get the
tunnels up and passing encrypted traffic (after adding the "tunnel mode
ipsec ipv4" command to the tunnel).  LDP and OSPF came right up too.
The interesting bit is that I have no end-to-end vrf connectivity.  In
other words:

CORE-DIA-1#sh ip ro vrf CustA

Routing Table: CustA
Gateway of last resort is not set

      10.0.0.0/32 is subnetted, 2 subnets
B       10.1.1.1 [200/0] via 192.168.255.252, 00:23:06
C       10.0.0.1 is directly connected, Loopback100

CORE-DIA-1#ping vrf CustA 10.1.1.1 source 10.0.0.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of 10.0.0.1
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

CORE-DIA-1#sho ip ro 192.168.255.252
Routing entry for 192.168.252/32
   Known via "ospf 100", distance 110, metric 11112, type intra area
   Last update from 10.0.0.2 on Tunnel0, 00:02:34 ago
   Routing Descriptor Blocks:
   * 10.0.0.2, from 192.168.255.252, 00:02:34 ago, via Tunnel0
       Route metric is 11112, traffic share count is 1

      It worked until i added the "tunnel protection ipsec profile foo"
bit.  I can still ping loopbacks etc. in the Default-IP-Routing-Table. I
had it working in an alternate config, with a crypto map applied to the
physical interface that is the tunnel-source. Any idea why this might be?

Christopher Hunt
ReachONE Internet, Inc.
(360)456-5640
http://www.reachone.com