[c-nsp] QoS help on Cisco 1841 from Covad

Nick Voth nvoth at estreet.com
Fri Oct 17 20:49:56 EDT 2008

Hello folks,

I'm having some trouble getting my QoS policies for VoIP to work on a Covad
supplied T1 router. It looks like it's a Frame Relay interface. I have
applied the rules as I normally do on our Point-to-Point circuits, but I
don't see the rules catching any traffic. Can someone loan me another set of
eyes to see what I'm doing wrong here?

I didn't do the config for the Frame Interface. That's from Covad so I can't
really mess with that much. I'm only allowed to implement the QoS policies.

Thanks very much:

Config snippet ------>

class-map match-all VoIP-Data
 match protocol rtp
 match access-group 101
class-map match-all VoIP-Control
 match protocol sip
 match access-group 101
!
!
policy-map QoS-OUT
 class VoIP-Control
  bandwidth 60
 class VoIP-Data
  priority percent 90
 class class-default
  fair-queue 2048
!
!
interface Serial0/0/0
 bandwidth 1536
 no ip address
 encapsulation frame-relay IETF
 no ip mroute-cache
 service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
 service-module t1 fdl both
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi
 max-reserved-bandwidth 95
 service-policy output QoS-OUT
!
interface Serial0/0/0.1 point-to-point
 frame-relay interface-dlci 16 ppp Virtual-Template1
!
interface Virtual-Template1
 ip address negotiated
 ppp chap hostname 5411955 at bz8
 ppp chap password 7 14xxxxxxxxxxx
 ppp ipcp dns request
 ppp ipcp route default
 ppp ipcp address accept
!
!
!
access-list 101 permit ip any host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Output of "show policy-map"------->

Router#show policy-map interface Serial0/0/0

 Serial0/0/0

  Service-policy output: QoS-OUT

    Class-map: VoIP-Control (match-all)
      0 packets, 0 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: protocol sip
      Queueing
        Output Queue: Conversation 2057
        Bandwidth 60 (kbps)Max Threshold 64 (packets)
        (pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0
        (depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

    Class-map: VoIP-Data (match-all)
      0 packets, 0 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: protocol rtp
      Queueing
        Strict Priority
        Output Queue: Conversation 2056
        Bandwidth 90 (%)
        Bandwidth 1382 (kbps) Burst 34550 (Bytes)
        (pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0
        (total drops/bytes drops) 0/0

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      838 packets, 182315 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any
      Queueing
        Flow Based Fair Queueing
        Maximum Number of Hashed Queues 2048
        (total queued/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

Thanks very much!

-Nick Voth