[c-nsp] Conditional BGP

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sun Oct 19 04:35:36 EDT 2008

At 09:47 PM 18-10-08 +0500, Masood Ahmad Shah wrote:

I am curious if anyone else uses conditional BGP as a poor man's DRP?

Suppose you have site A with 192.168.1.0/24.  The site is connected to 2
upstream ISPs and they have a number of servers at site A.  They now create
a DRP site (site B), which is also connected to 2 upstream ISPs and they
create a mirror copy of those servers from site A over at site B and assign
them the *exact* same IP addresses as at site A.  They have the router at
site B do conditional BGP, checking to see if it sees 192.168.1.0/24 from
the Internet.  As soon as it disappears (site A is gone), site B starts
announcing 192.168.1.0/24 to the Internet and all the DRP servers at site B
are suddenly active.  Ignoring the syncing of the servers from site B to
site A, what is the downside of such a "poor mans' DRP solution?

Regards,
Hank