[c-nsp] question about service provider network design

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Tue Oct 21 10:16:19 EDT 2008

We have a fairly similar design for our Metro Ethernet network.

Our primary method of protection is STP(MST).  I've been thinking about
this, and I can't come up with a reason why we even really need an IGP
down to the edge PE devices?  Since it's all layer2 - the core
switch/routers see all of the PE<>core links as Connected routes anyway
- what's the point of bother pushing your IGP down there? It's just more
needless routes.

That leaves you with a very small IGP in your core.