[c-nsp] Bridging ATM on 7206?

Nathan have.an.email at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 06:35:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Matthew Crocker <mcrocker at crocker.com> wrote:

> Nathan,
>
>  It sounds like what you want to do should be possible.  I'm not sure if the
> 7206 can do it or not.   I'm pretty sure a Redback SE-400 can do it.
> I have no idea if this is even close to a working config but it is the way I
> would think it should work.

Unfortunately it doesn't :-(

I'll abandon the idea of the 7206 having an IP in the VLAN.

I'm left with two aal5snap PVCs coming into my 7206 router on the same
physical interface, and I want to connect them so that VLAN tags go
through.

The CPEs are configured with switchport trunk, and several VLANs.

If I configure a point-to-point interface for each PVC, with atm
route-bridged ip and encapsulation aal5snap, and an IP, I can access
the IPs in Vlan1 on the CPEs, so far so good. The CPEs can communicate
if I give them IPs in different subnets, and static routes, ok.

I want the CPEs to be in the same L2 network.

If I say
  bridge 1 protocol vlan-bridge
  bridge irb
and put the two interfaces into that bridge-group, no ping no arp.

If I join the PVCs into a single "point-to-multipoint" interface, no
ping no arp.

Annoyingly, this is the exact counterpoint to a recent problem of
mine, where I couldn't do an xconnect because I wanted an L3 interface
on one end of the xconnect. Here I'd be glad to do an xconnect at ATM
level, but can I do that when both interfaces are on the same router?

I just want my PA-A3 to bridge the PVCs together, like it was an ATM
switch . . . Can I do that and how?

--
Thanks
Nathan