[c-nsp] ME3400

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Thu Oct 23 15:47:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:

> Mateusz B?aszczyk wrote on 23/10/2008 7:22 μμ:
>>
>> Tassos,
>>
>>> We have around 200 of them and we are extremely happy with them! We use
> them
>>> for all kinds of L2 services and we haven't met any major issues.
>>
>> I second that as well.
>>
>>> What seems worrying is the fact that lately we met 2 of them with a
> strange
>>> problem (lost packets) on their 1st optical port. We're still
> investigating
>>> it.
>>
>> can you elaborate a bit here?
>>

> From our last order we found 2 ME-3400 with a strange "problem" on their 1st
> optical port.
> Regardless of the SFP used, there is always some packet loss for packets
> passing through this port.
>
> We even "cleaned" the optical port, but the problem insisted. Moving the SFPs
> to another port solved the problem.
> Since these are in remote locations, we haven't been able to check them
> thoroughly. But we're planning to replace them
> soon, so we'll have a better look.
>
> --
> Tassos

That is a big help!  One of our carriers has just given us 7 IPVPN lines
of speeds of either 150Mb/sec or 300Mb/sec.  6 of the lines tested
perfectly.  The 7th has 4% pkt loss when doing 18K pings.  The carrier
hasn't managed to find the problem for the past 3 weeks.  This very well
might help them since they provide the circuits with ME3400s.

-Hank