[c-nsp] BGP Multihomed Selective/Conditional Advertisement

tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com
Mon Oct 27 17:56:01 EDT 2008

So what would be the behavior if I set the community for Cogent to set
the Local Preference to 50 in terms of transit traffic? Does that mean
that Cogent's originated traffic would use ATT but Cogent's peers (with
a shorter AS path through Cogent) would still traverse Cogent even
though the lower local preference is there? I'm not sure about BGP's
behavior here or is that ISP specific configuration?

>>--Cogent
>>---Out
>>----Internet access - my /24 advertise with Cogent's community set
Local preference something low like 50 (this >>way all Cogent users will
use the path through ATT avoiding Cogent's link.

Thank you,

Tom