[c-nsp] quest for a CPE basic rate-limiting switch

Christopher Hunt chunt at reachone.com
Tue Oct 28 15:17:21 EDT 2008

    I'm looking for an affordable switch that will do basic
rate-limiting/policing.  I've been half-heartedly searching for
a solution for over a year.  My boss settled on the Linksys SRW2008 :-\,
but
those brick constantly and can't be depended upon for anything.

    Basically, I have a vendor who supplies a 10/100 L2 FTTH network.
Let's say I bring on customerA who has 3 sites on the FTTH network. We
purchase a vlan plus a port for each location from the vendor.  I'd like
to install a CPE switch in each location that could ensure that the
customer is only getting what they're paying for and not flooding my
vendor's network (which they don't currently monitor or limit).  In some
cases it's 1mbps, in others 3mbps or 10mbps, but I don't need to offer
QoS or need anything more granular than +/-1mps.  The 3750s are out of
my price range, refurbs are fine.  SSH is a plus but not necessary.
Does anyone have any tips?

Desparately seeking switches,
Chris Hunt