[c-nsp] MVPN

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 05:03:25 EDT 2008

Christian Meutes wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>> As far as I can see, SSM would only be of specific help if the >255
>> groups were coming from >1 PE. You'd still have problems with >255 groups
>> on 1 PE using SSM.
>
> Even then I could use different data-mdt's for every PE in same VRF in
> SM mode or not?
>
>> The traffic will not flow via the RP, since all the PEs should have
>> joined towards the other PEs for the default or data group in question.
>>
>> The issue is that some traffic might be sent to PEs which have no
>> interest in it (if you have more active MVPN groups than data groups, or
>> if it's flowing in the mdt default) but it will still flow on the source
>> tree in the P-space, not the shared tree.
>>
>> Whether that's actually a problem depends on the bit rate of the traffic,
>> number of PEs and types of links. Not the most helpful answer I'm afraid.
>
> I just tested it in SM mode. What happens is that no more streams can be
> send because of the exhaustion of all data-mdt's. Switchover to data-mdt
> is configured to 1 and as soon as traffic arrives a data-mdt is tried
> to open and unfortunately fails therefore.

Really? That's got to be a bug. What platform are you on?

> The only solution as far as I can see is to do SSM without a data-mdt.
> Sure I could also use SM without a data-mdt but that would concentrate
> everything on the RP which would be the worst case of all.

You seem to be mis-understanding how PIM-SM works. When a source starts
up, only the *first few* packets are tunneled via the RP; these few are
forwarded down the shared tree, which triggers the other PEs to do a
join to source, and the traffic then flows optimally; the RP will then
send a Register-Stop to the PE of the source, which stops the tunneling.