[c-nsp] reflexive ACL on 6500

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at csupomona.edu
Wed Oct 29 23:36:20 EDT 2008

We've been using reflexive ACLs on the 6500s for many years, in my own experience I'd recommend against it, unless it's absolutely your only choice. We use reflexive ACLs on the SVIs and it just doesn't scale very well.  You're better off purchasing a couple FWSMs or some real firewalls to get the job done.

The basic downfall of the reflexive ACLs is that it knows nothing about session state of the underlying protocol (ie TCP session state). The moment you have an infected box or a box port scanning, expect the CPU to spike on the supervisor, while it sits in the Racl Ager process, aging out all the reflexive access list entries. We have the reflexive timeout set fairly low, but most of the time we're still hammered with chatty boxes generating tons of states and the CPU spiking while it ages them out.

In terms of CPU hits, here's been my experience:

- chatty boxes creating tons of unnecessary states spikes the CPU in the RACL Ager process. lately the HP Jetdirect print servers with SLP enabled has given us some grief in this arena (disable SLP on the Jetdirect print servers unless you absolutely need it). for boxes on the outside of the reflexive ACL that your boxes on the inside always talk to (ie DNS servers), save yourself the headache and create stateless entries on the access-lists to avoid unnecessary states to those boxes.

- enabling logging on a reflexive ACL punts it to the CPU (don't log on the reflexive ACL unless you want everything to be software switched)

- depending on the number of vLANs and ACEs for your ACLs, you need to watch your TCAM resources, although on a Sup720 you'd be pretty hard pressed to exhaust them unless you have a lot of entries.

Just my 2 cents ...

-----
Gabriel Kuri | Sr. Network Engineer
Instructional and Information Technology Division
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
http://www.csupomona.edu/~iit | +1 909 979 6363