[c-nsp] 12.2SRC or 12.4T for 7200VXR NPE400

Forrest W Christian fwc at mt.net
Thu Oct 30 13:59:13 EDT 2008

I've got a couple of 7140's at my edge today running an older copy of
IOS with no support for IPv6, or long ASN's.  Not to mention a few other
features I'd like.

I've acquired a set of used 7200VXR's with NPE400's.    As a result,
it's time to figure out what version of the IOS - and probably what
package I need.

The must-have features in my mind are:

BGP4  w/Long ASN
IPv6
IP Traffic Export
Support for POS and ATM interfaces.
Smaller-Footprint (memory-wise) since I'm running on a platform with
only 512MB..

The feature navigator is no help whatsoever, especially since it doesn't
seem to think that IP Traffic export is in any version other than 12.4T
(or 12.4 Enterprise), and I know for a fact, from the release notes,
that it is in later versions of 12.2S (but not necessarily SRC).   Of
course, that doesn't help me figure out the packaging.

Plus, since it appears that 12.2SRC is actively maintained, perhaps I
don't want or need to be on 12.4T.  It also appears that if I want to
run IPv6 on the later packagis, I need to upgrade to the advanced IP
services package.

I'd appreciate it if someone could take a minute and help me understand
the percieved value of the 12.2SRC versus 12.4T chains, and perhaps
point me in one or two directions to investigate?

Thanks.

-forrest