[c-nsp] RS232 to TCP/IP

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Fri Oct 31 00:49:54 EDT 2008

Anton.Schweitzer at o2.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we need to send serial data from a PC with a rs232 Interface over IP/TCP
> to a Server. This was done with X.25 over Sat before.
> Is there any Solution to use pure IP to transport this Data

IOS has been able to do this for at least 10 years, probably more than
15 years.

look up 'autocommand' as it relates to 'line' command, e.g. what you can
put on 'line aux'.

my home DSL router (an old cisco 2621) has used this to route rs232
output from my home alarm system to a linux box elsewhere in the house
for literally 5+ years.

cheers,

lincoln.