[c-nsp] Order-of-operations question about "adjust-mss" and crypto...

Luan Nguyen luan at netcraftsmen.net
Fri Oct 31 14:39:47 EDT 2008

The MSS tells the maximum data a host will accept in an TCP/IP datagram.
Each side reports the value to the other side and the sending will abide by
it.  It's all before encryption.
So typically like you said, people put ip tcp adjust-mss 1360 on the group
member LAN interface and also set ip mtu 1400 on the WAN side hoping for
PMTUD to work its magic.
Putting both on the WAN interface should work as well, though, I don't quite
understand the backside is MPLS statement :)...the packet has to be
originated from somewhere.
There's a very good paper here on Fragmentation
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_white_paper09186a00
800d6979.shtml#t3

Luan Nguyen
Chesapeake NetCraftsmen, LLC.