[c-nsp] c7604 "starter kit"

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Sep 4 09:30:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Philippe Strauss wrote:

> I'm new to the convoluted world of hardware routing :-)
>
> chassis 7604?
> 3bxl or 3cxl?
> sup720 or rsp720?

Latest, same money, newer hardware, so 7604 RSP720-3CXL.

> linecard: what are the SPA? distributed forwarding? we don't need it a priori.
> there is a 6 gbic port (2+4) with PXF, what is this beast? probably something
> to avoid.

You need OC3 ports? Yeah, you're going to be paying a lot for SIP-400+SPA,
it'll do 4 gigabit/s actual traffic.

> I've heard once upon a time a 8 port GigE linecard was available and not anymore.
> will the 8 port fixed GigE (not 10/100 but only 1000) of the cat6500 line work
> in a c7600?

Yes.

> We don't need 20 ports and that's a bit expensive.
> All port must do layer3, of course.
> Full BGP table, many times (3 full peer plus 100 local peerings w few prefixes).

Full BGP table costs money, if you're on a budget, get a used Cisco 12000,
it'll take you into the gigabits/s realm quite cheaply, then when you're
past that, go for 7600.

7600 makes a lot of sense if you're ethernet only, the SONET/SDH
interfaces are quite pricey due to the need for SIP/SPAs.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se