[c-nsp] c7604 "starter kit"

Robert Gutierrez rmg at conviva.com
Thu Sep 4 21:47:22 EDT 2008

I tried to sell management here a dual ASR1003 + distro (4900M based), but
10G distro is still just too much!  TOR's still had to be 10G connected
from the 4900M, and that's a hell of a lot of X2's to buy on top of that.
Yeah, I could have bought the 20 port GE card for the 4900M for now, but
Taiwan has the single-lane 10G switches coming next year, and I just don't
feel that Cisco will drop prices then on X2's or SFP+'s to give me
long-term confidence, pricing wise.  I might as well do an ASR1003 +
4948-10G as the distro to 2960G's.  Ugh, el-cheapo!

So I did a pair of 7606's, 3CXL (taking full routes) and a 6748-GE-TX
port-channeled to the TOR's.

Cisco has 10G locked up for now, but that prices small shops like us out.
And also makes sure we *will* go with 3rd party next year, locking out
Cisco except for the core.  I mean it's not like when I worked at MSN and
had zillions to spend on even small lab networks.  I have a real budget
now.  And Cisco is a very hard pill to swallow on a real budget.

At least I didn't suggest Vyatta/Quagga on a Dell server feeding Dell
switches :P

    Rob Gutierrez / Sr. Network Engineer
    Conviva Inc, San Mateo, CA