[c-nsp] Surge protection on leased lines

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Sep 4 22:52:41 EDT 2008

Here is an explanation of what your SUPPOSED to have:

http://www.cermetek.com/Support/APP-Notes/611-0175.pdf

with some schematics in case you want to roll your
own protectors.

According to this, per FCC part 68, your national telephone
company is in violation of FCC regs if it is not providing
an isolation barrier at the customer handoff, which clearly
it is not if your losing WICs to lighting.  They may be sliding
under the regulation by giving you the handoff via V.35
but I doubt it.  Frankly I've never
seen a SHDSL line being handed off to the customer on a
V.35.  I've seen plenty of Telco-owned muxes that took a
T1 or SHDSL and handed off to the customer via both POTS and V35,
though, but I don't see the point of an NIU that goes from
SHDSL to V.35 - it's extra cost for the Telco, and that would
require the customer prem equipment to be sitting next to the
Dmarc since your not going to run V.35 a hundred or so feet
from the dmarc to the network room.  This scheme sounds cockamamie
to me.  You learn something new every day.

If I were you I would call your local municipality on this.
All the electrical codes I've ever seen require the utility
side of any feed into a building to have a solid, low-resistance
ground at the entry point.  They cannot just connect to a
cold water pipe or some such nonsense, they have to
drive a copper rod into the ground and ground to that.
The fact that your "national telco" is allowing lightning
energy to come into your building is a fire hazard and I
am quite sure is in violation of your local wiring codes.
They need a sold ground and suppression such as varistors
connected between that ground and both wires of the pair
that the SHDSL line is on.  If you can get the specific
code requirements for your municipality you can threaten
to report your national telco to both the FCC and the
local municipality if they do not install surge suppression.

Ted

PS  I am assuming your in the US, here.