[c-nsp] Recommended 2800 ISR

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 4 23:41:02 EDT 2008

> I have read that document before, do those numbers (2811 - 61.44mpbs
> CEF Fast switching) mean that it can process that bandwidth with
> nothing else running on the router?

With the wind behind the bits heading downhill.
The first paragraph says:

  Numbers are given with 64 byte packet size, IP only,
  and are only an indication of raw switching performance.
  These are testing numbers, usually with FE to FE or POS
  to POS, no services enabled. As you add ACL's, encryption,
  compression, etc - performance will decline significantly
  from the given numbers  ....

The moment you add (for example) NAT or Firewall features,
expect significantly less performance.  As always, your
Mbps will vary and your situation will be unique (and
almost never to your benefit).