[c-nsp] VoIP classifying and queuing in an access switch <--> core Layer 2 network

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Sep 5 03:17:13 EDT 2008

Alex Balashov <> wrote on Friday, September 05, 2008 8:28 AM:

> If the switch is purely Layer 2, it would be difficult to classify
> VoIP traffic ipso facto, as the factors that differentiate it from
> other kinds of traffic are, by definition, >= Layer 3.

Well, even a Layer 2 switch can classify based on L3 information, most
of today's (and yesterday's) Cat2xxx/3xxx support this.
I would recommend looking at the Enterprise QoS solution reference at
www.cisco.com/go/srnd for plenty of examples for various access switch
platforms.

	oli

> About the only thing you can do there is use segregated VLANs, and/or
> take advantage of the native "voice VLAN" feature of certain
> Catalysts:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2940/software/relea
se/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swvoip.html