[c-nsp] free WAN emulation software

Andrew Gristina agristina+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 12:00:30 EDT 2008

The opensource options are dummynet on BSD:

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

Which is good for emulating links 100Mb or slower, I think it needs
patches if you are going to emulate long fat pipes.  I used the boot
floppy, it is easier to use if you have some unix experience.

or

Nistnet on linux (the traffic shaping stuff is now in kernel).

But I find it is old, and that netem is is better in linux- basically
the tc commands:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Netem