[c-nsp] Bridging over GRE tunnels.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 5 17:14:54 EDT 2008

Good afternoon.

After lots of searching, I found that bridging over GRE tunnels is
configurable, but unsupported. (yes, really:
+++++++++
cr1-5509-rsfc-1(config)#bridge 1 protocol ieee
cr1-5509-rsfc-1(config)#int tu0
cr1-5509-rsfc-1(config-if)#bridge-group 1
1d04h: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Tunnel0, changed state
to down
% This command is an unreleased and unsupported feature
cr1-5509-rsfc-1(config-if)#
1d04h:
Note: A random Spanning Tree Bridge Identifier address of 0000.0c92.7210
      has been chosen for Bridge Group 1 since there is no mac address
      associated with the selected interface.
1d04h:
      Ensure that this address is unique.

cr1-5509-rsfc-1(config-if)#
+++++++++

Anyone here have experience with this?  RSFC in a Catalyst 5509, IOS 12.1
(that's the only IOS on RSFC's).  Anyone have comments on stability found or
not found?  If this works, it means the RSFC's in my 5500's have just gained
a new lease on life.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer