[c-nsp] NPE G1, CEF and ACLs and high CPU

Mateusz Błaszczyk blahu77 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 06:59:24 EDT 2008

Rondey, Nic,

>> >config t
>> >int null 0
>> >no ip unreachables

yes this is configured already.

http://searchnetworkingchannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid100_gci1261924,00.html

>> Reading that and this posting begs the question
>> - if there is a lrage amount of ACL drops and these packets are punted to
>> cPU and the CPU rate-limit for punted packets has been exceeded, then
>> possible packets that need to be CPU processed will be dropped in favour
>> of ACL denied packets
>
> That's not true. The packets are dropped under interrupt that match
> the ACL deny other than punting some to generate the unreachable.
> You will always deny them.
>

>> >If it's high CPU at IP Input really need 12.4(20)T and get
>> >a sniffer trace in the punt path to see what traffic it really is.

This part is interesting. I might try that.
Question - there are 2 switching paths on the router
1) process switching which means invoking ip_input for every packet
2) interrupt context switching which is supported by different caching
mechanisms - fast switching, CEF etc. If there is marginal utilisation
of ip_input process and also most of the CPU utilisation is pointing
to interrupts - what does it mean?

The configured ACL follows the example for infrastructure ACLs (here:
http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080120f48.shtml#limitaccess
)

Does it mean the NPE-G1 is not enough to process ~400Mbps/60kpps with
ACL like above?
The other night when traffic was much lower the ACL was removed from
the port and overall utilization dropped from 45% to 37%. Is that a
lot? 8% decrease is nothing but 1/5th of drop is quite substantial. I
am puzzled here.

Would a bigger box (as mentioned in the other thread "7600 starter
kit") solve the problem?

Best Regards,

- --
- -mat