[c-nsp] Monitoring CPU punted traffic

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Tue Sep 9 16:33:52 EDT 2008

I am running 720CXL with SXH code and am trying to monitor the punted
traffic to the RP so that I can confirm what actually gets punted to it.

It appears to show packets but not positive I have configured it
correctly.   Has anyone else used this tool?

The doc states that when using the RP CPU as SOURCE that the traffic
is seen from the viewpoint of the ASIC, as shown in snippet below...

------------

Source CPUs

A source CPU is a CPU monitored for traffic analysis. With Release
12.2(33)SXH and later releases, you can configure both the SP CPU and
the RP CPU as SPAN sources. These are examples of what you can do with
the data generated by CPU monitoring:

•Develop baseline information about CPU traffic.

•Develop information to use when creating CoPP policies.

•Troubleshoot CPU-related issues (for example, high CPU utilization).

Note•CPU SPAN monitors CPU traffic from the perspective of the ASICs
that send and receive the CPU traffic, rather than from on board the
CPUs themselves.

•Traffic to and from the CPU is tagged with VLAN IDs. You can
configure source VLAN filtering of the CPU traffic.

-------------

This is how I configured the SPAN port....

(config) monitor ses 1 local   (This puts me in config-mon-local mode)

(config-mon-local) destination interface gi13/17  (THIS PORT HAS
TCPDUMP HOST ATTACHED)

(config-mon-local) source cpu rp tx  (As stated in doc traffic is from
viewpoint of ASIC, so I used TX assuming transmitted traffic to RP CPU.)

(config-mon-local)no shutdown  (This is needed to turn on monitor)

(config-mon-local) exit  (Must exit in order for no shutdown to take
effect)

Thanks for any advise on this config.

Jeff Fitzwater

OIT Network Systems