[c-nsp] Can the PE router take on multiple roles?

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Wed Sep 10 01:34:48 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We have a few spare 7301's out the back and I was thinking of using one
of them to be a NAT-PE router. No biggie with doing this but I was
wondering if the NAT-PE router could also take on other roles which
would be beneficial in a MPLS VPN environment such as using it to act as
a SSL VPN Gateway for remote access. Could the same unit also be used to
act as a Route Reflector to reflect VPNv4 routes? Or am I putting too
much load on the router and/or putting all my eggs in one basket?

At present, we don't have many MPLS VPN customers yet but the hope is to
make things scalable so we can grow comfortable as the number of VPN
customers grow.

In summary, is it a good idea to use the 7301 to preform the following
roles:

- NAT-PE / Internet Gateway
- SSL VPN Gateway
- BGP Route Reflector

Ideas, comments, personal experiences, etc most welcomed.

Thanks.

Andy

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
 any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
 author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any