[c-nsp] Setting the Remote Syslog Port in IOS

Rick Coloccia coloccia at geneseo.edu
Wed Sep 10 13:45:00 EDT 2008

Interesting approach.  I installed syslog-ng on my syslog server (CentOS
5.2) and am filtering very extensively based on source host and pattern
matching inside the trap.  I have lots of different files in place now
based on what cisco device created the trap and what the message in the
trap is.  But they are all the same facility.  You might find that a lot
more useful.  Take a look at syslog-ng, and don't let it overwhelm you -
it's not as bad as it looks to set up.  Assuming a linux box, you can
leave your existing syslog in place, and just add this to a system to
receive syslogs from over the network.  Very, very configurable.

-Rick