[c-nsp] how to accomplish multiple 'native' vlans

Chris Hale chale99 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 00:34:48 EDT 2008

All -

We are converting our L2 network from Riverstone to Cisco.  One
problem I have not been able to solve yet is the way the Riverstone
and Cisco units handle untagged traffic entering a physical port.  We
have many connections to customers whereby we have equipment we would
like to manage with management VIDs inline with untagged customer
traffic.  When it enters the Ethernet trunk port on the Riverstone, we
are able to assign the untagged traffic to a VID and it traverses the
trunk ports where allowed as tagged traffic.  It doesn't seem like the
Cisco switches have this ability - only one native VLAN per switch.
Is there some way to accept multiple ports of untagged traffic and tag
each ports' untagged traffic with separate VIDs?

Example:

fa0/1 - mgmt VID 10, customer traffic untagged (needs to be tagged
with VID 100 for L3 routing)
fa0/2 - mgmt VID 10, customer traffic untagged (needs to be tagged
with VID 101 for L3 routing)
etc.
fa0/24 - trunk port to L3 device

We are using 2960 and 3560 switches.  Any other ideas are welcome, but
we would prefer to minimize any CPE equipment at customer site to tag
their traffic with the appropriate customer VID.  It's a matter of
additional cost, additional management devices, and additional points
of failure.

Thanks,
Chris

--