[c-nsp] 100FX Ports or Media Convertors?

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Thu Sep 11 09:20:03 EDT 2008

Hi, we have quite a lot of 100Mb fibre distribution but it is spread across
many locations so 24 fibre ports out from any location is just about
enough.

My question is now, the 3550-FX has gone and I need to replace some units
the way forward with integrated ports is the 3750 with 24FX + 4 SFP @ ~
$7000
A 3650 with 24x Media convertors with dual PSU shelves @ ~ $5000

We have had quite a few 3550 MTRJ 100FX ports partially fail (high RX
drops) in the past causing all kinds of fun and games with STP
So even with the extra points of failure the Media convertors are looking
tempting as failed units can be simply replaced.

Any comments welcomed.

Kevin
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Tata Steel UK Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities