[c-nsp] 100FX Ports or Media Convertors?

Claes Jansson claes at gastabud.com
Thu Sep 11 10:57:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

i highly recommend using the ME-3400-24FS-A with GLC-FE-100FX SFPs.

Swtich cost about 1500$ and the SFPs about 65$ a piece.

The 3550s lack some features that the me3400 series has. And it handles 'ip arp inspection' much better...

Using media converters has several disadvantages. More complex installation, uses more rack-space, more power and generates quite a lot of heat... And some switching media-converters also "hides" packet errors on the fiber side. And some generate not-wanted pause frames, disrupting traffic...

//Claes