[c-nsp] 6500 netflow export and the switch cpu

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Sep 11 11:50:44 EDT 2008

I've got a 6509 with sup720-3bxl running 12.2(18)SXD7b.  It's forwarding
several hundred mbit/s across a number of gig ports on WS-X6416-GBIC
cards.

I've noticed it's gotten very slow at certain things (like write mem), and
when looking at the switch (remote command switch show proc cpu), I was
kind of shocked to see 85% CPU utilization or higher across all time avgs.
The biggest CPU eating process seems to be netflow export

  223  2563111984 126342970      20287 38.27% 42.39% 42.03%   0 NDE - IPV4

Other than disabling export or moving traffic off this device, are there
things I can do to tone this down?  The couple hundred mbit/s this switch
is forwarding is supposed to be no big deal for this platform.