[c-nsp] 6500 netflow export and the switch cpu

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Thu Sep 11 14:41:52 EDT 2008

I wonder if it is not something in the config, rather than the traffic. I
collect netflow from an old 6509 with upwards of 800M out one interface
and I haven't seen any problems.Using if-full too. Granted a lot of our
flows are data set transfers though. (I can't get the IOS version right
now as it is managed by a different group - but it is probably fairly
vanilla.)

The number of flows was mentioned, is there alot of VoIP going through
your switch, or something like that? What happens if you reduce the aging
values? The 'long' one looks high.

It just seems that with the load you are quoting, you should be able to
get everything...

Joe

Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org>
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
09/11/2008 01:52 PM

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>
cc
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] 6500 netflow export and the switch cpu

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Phil Mayers wrote:

>>  current ip   flowmask for unicast:   if-full
>>  current ipv6 flowmask for unicast:    null
>
> Do you need the full mask? It includes tcp/udp ports. Dropping to
> destination-source may save you a lot of flows (but obviously lose you a
lot
> of info)

I'd really like to keep ip-full.  It's quite handy when tracking down what

an IP has been up to (like when trying to verify infection/scanning
complaints).

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |