[c-nsp] load-sharing round robin time?

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Thu Sep 11 23:51:39 EDT 2008

Dan Letkeman wrote:
> I have tried enabling per-packet load balancing, but if I do that then
> no pages come up in the browser.  So I did a tcp-mss adjust on the
> interface and still no difference.

With every line being a separate NAT (I assume) your outgoing packets
streams are more or less torn up now, resulting already in the initial
TCP handshake being impossible ... (SYN goes out with IP1, SYN ACK
returns on that line, ACK goes out with IP2 ...) The delay in switching
links comes from the router setting up a traffic flow and remembering
the IP-to-line assignment for a while ...

Only thing I could suggest for now is using three squids (could be done
on that single machine) with three different outgoing IPs, which in turn
can be routed statically to one line each through route maps ... then
use a fourth squid instance (towards the users) to use the other three
round-robin ...

-garry