[c-nsp] BFD on 12.2.33 SRA and SRB

Thomas Schmid schmid at dfn.de
Fri Sep 12 09:14:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

since we're in a situation where we may have to implement BFD soon on
a number of links, I did a test with 12.2(33)SRA4 in a half-test environment.

The result was that after max. 5 min the router (SUP720-3BXL) crashed
without memory (small buffers) left. This was easily reproducible
by just turning on BFD for a eBGP session.

Even though I provided lots of crashinfo files and logs to the TAC, they were
not able to reproduce it in the lab and nail down the problem or find the
trigger for the mem leaks. The closest they came up with was CSCsh37272.

Recommendation was to go for SRB and see if the problem is also there.

Well, I tried SRB4 and wasn't yet able to reproduce the crashes. While
this is a strong hint that we won't see the crashes with SRB, I'm not
100% conviced and so my question is if someone saw any memory related
problems with SRB and BFD recently?

Thanks,

  Thomas