[c-nsp] IPv6 Subnetting - Service Provider

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Sep 12 10:22:43 EDT 2008

Florian Weimer <fweimer at bfk.de> writes:

> * Bob Snyder:
>
>> One issue we ran into was that not all the networking gear we had
>> could support /126. The vendor's (not Cisco) immature support for
>> IPv6 could only understand the concept of /128 loopbacks and /64
>> subnets.
>
> Subnets smaller than /64 containing (conceptually) global unicast
> addresses are not allowed per the IPv6 addressing architecture RFC.
> So it's just another case of vendors got bitten by RFCs that don't
> match customer requirements. 8-/

You could also call it unreasonable customer requirements. If you
spend a /40 on linknets you can have 2^24 of them. A /40 is nothing to
an ISP.

An enterprise would be a bit more cramped, but any enterprise needing
more than say 10000 linknets should probably get an AS-number and some
provider-independent space -- and then there's plenty of space again.

/Benny