[c-nsp] 6500 netflow export and the switch cpu

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Fri Sep 12 16:46:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 09:32:02PM +0200, Ivan Gasparik wrote:
> I plan to try the way mentioned by you - mirroring traffic to
> some fprobe server. Is here somebody running external server for
> netflow analysis? I would be interrested in your experiences,
> especially what hardware is needed for processing 10Gb/s of
> traffic?

I haven't done anything up to 10G, but I've mirrored transit
interfaces to servers for netflow collection as a demo.  I'd say it
was around 500M of live traffic.  I was using pmacctd to generate
netflow v9 records with src/dest IP, proto, ports, and src/dest AS.

A quad-core 2GHz Xeon could just about keep up with a 500M mirror
session per cpu, running one instance per mirror session.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

man in the bonds of Hell."