[c-nsp] 100FX Ports or Media Convertors?

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sat Sep 13 04:12:32 EDT 2008

Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> I have a few devices and buildings on campus that I feed at 100FX, both
> from 4500s with MTRJ blades and from 3750s with the 100FX SFPs and both
> seem to be pretty reliable.  I haven't seen the 'live' failure rates on
> the 100FX SFPs to be much better or worse than the GE SFPs we use all
> over the place.

We have been using 3750G-12 + 100FX SFPs for 100FX distribution out
there at sites. Although it's expensive at the start the advantage is a
very easy upgrade to gigabit. Previous to that we did use 3550+6-way
100FX media convertors, specifically the 6-in-1u allied telesyn things,
which worked well enough.

We have had some problems with the 3750G+100FX SFP combination insofar
as the 100FX SFPs get very hot in those boxes and in less well specified
locations have a tendency to overheat and fail. This accelerated our
upgrade plan in one location to upgrade the edge (Cat 1900 -> Extreme
x250e in fact) and I think the 1000SX SFPs run a lot cooler.

In the area of larger sites where we have 6500s, especially given the
lack of 100FX support in newer edge switches, we are just trying to get
links up to gigabit. The length constraints can be a major pain, we're
using a combination of replacement with singlemode or 1000LX + mode
conditioning cables (550m over 62.5/125). We don't really want to buy
100FX stuff for the 6500 due to the limited benefit and lifetime.

Will