[c-nsp] OT - 802.3an - 10Gig over Cat 6a

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Mon Sep 15 23:03:01 EDT 2008

hi Michael,

Michael Balasko wrote:
> We are starting to look at migration to 10gig and I was wondering if
> anyone knows of any networking gear that actually supports 10GBaseT.
> Intel has nic's available, I just wonder what you plug them into. The
> all knowing, all powerful google seems to be no help here.

Cisco will have 10GBase-T switches available, however i strongly suggest
you look into the various pros/cons of different transceiver options.
10GBase-T with its current power/heat (& latency) probably doesn't make
sense from a 'green' perspective.

if you're considering 10G to the host within a data center, suggest you
talk to your Cisco account team & get an update on what options are
available.

cheers,

lincoln.