[c-nsp] NTP not synchronizing

Velasquez Venegas Jaime Omar Jaime at ulima.edu.pe
Tue Sep 16 22:23:04 EDT 2008

I kept working on this ntp issue.It's a fact that there's no packet
going out of the serial interface of the router even when NTP debugging
says "NTP xmit packet".NTP Server is reacheable from the router through
any protocol.
Did some attempts like swapping ntp server ,changing ntp
versions,changing ntp server software,adding ntp broadcast delay in the
router.Heck I even disabled ntp so I can get a different message other
than Clock is unsynchronized.
Last time I restarted the router I removed all the ntp configuration in
the hope that it recalculates "ntp clock-period" parameter as cisco
documentation states but it didn't so now it's working with the previous
clock-period parameter.

These are detailed outputs of ntp status commands:

R1>show ntp assoc de

<NTP.Server> configured, insane, invalid, unsynced, stratum 16
ref ID 0.0.0.0, time 00000000.00000000 (19:00:00.000 <City> Thu Dec 31
1899)
our mode client, peer mode unspec, our poll intvl 64, peer poll intvl 64
root delay 0.00 msec, root disp 0.00, reach 0, sync dist 0.000
delay 0.00 msec, offset 0.0000 msec, dispersion 16000.00
precision 2**5, version 3
org time 00000000.00000000 (19:00:00.000 <City> Thu Dec 31 1899)
rcv time 00000000.00000000 (19:00:00.000 <City> Thu Dec 31 1899)
xmt time CC7AC750.449B3CCC (19:01:20.267 <City> Tue Sep 16 2008)
filtdelay =     0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00
0.00
filtoffset =    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00
0.00
filterror =  16000.0 16000.0 16000.0 16000.0 16000.0 16000.0 16000.0
16000.0

R1>show ntp stat

Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock
nominal freq is 249.5901 Hz, actual freq is 249.5906 Hz, precision is
2**16
reference time is CC7553E4.FE3E6D2D (15:47:32.993 <City> Fri Sep 12
2008)
clock offset is 0.0000 msec, root delay is 0.00 msec
root dispersion is 0.02 msec, peer dispersion is 0.02 msec

I may try to restart it one more time before I suspect a faulty ntp
service.