[c-nsp] Inter VRF Routing help needed

Bryan Phillips bryan.phillips at cybera.net
Thu Sep 18 19:00:27 EDT 2008

Cc loo

VRF-Lite cannot share routes internally in the router. You will need to
do BGP/VPNv4 or loop out and back in some physical interfaces on your
router and run a routing protocol between all of the VRF-lites over
those interfaces.

An RD will just define the VRF and the RD will stay the same in all your
PE routers in a BGP/VPNv4 network. The RT's are really extended BGP
communities to allow export and import of BGP/VPNv4 routes. Doing what
Andy was showing is also known as overlapping VPNs. All VRF's will have
a unique RT also but you can add other RT's to them to overlap other VRF
routes.

Bryan