[c-nsp] IPV6 IPAM

Mario Spinthiras spinthiras.mario at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 13:36:07 EDT 2008

Greetings,

First off forgive me if I am a bit off topic but I needed a list where
people from the ISP/NSP sector reside and what better place than the cisco
mailing list. I am currently in the works of developing an open source ipv6
IPAM with extensive features aimed at the ISP/NSP userbase. Working in ISPs
mostly in my career I understand the needs that have to be addressed in such
a piece of software however I would like to hear what you need from such an
IPAM. Some of the features I am targetting are:

- IPv6 addreess management
- Automated retrieval of networks from network devices.
- Device Inventory
- Basic monitoring
- Visual representation of address database
- Statistics generation for RIPE/ARIN (Im sure youve needed these before)
- Special associations per network (e.g , vrfs , vlans)
- Multi Level authentication
- IPv4 management (still thinking about this one)
- DNS management (bind and powerdns)
- DHCP management (ISC and Cisco)
- VTP/CDP/LLDP/GARP aware.
- Modular design to allow plugins

The software is currently in the works and I am happy to say that it also
includes an easy navigation , extensive search , clean UI and clever
suggestions on action.

Can anyone from the ISP/NSP sector tell me what else they would like to see
in such an IPAM or what they feel would be a feature suited ?

Your extensive feedback is greatly apreciated.

Regards,
Mario