[c-nsp] debugging all incoming traffic on an interface

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Mon Sep 22 18:52:21 EDT 2008

I'm trying to give a local ILEC an idea on where to look to
troubleshoot an issue on a bridged DSL circuit.  It terminates
directly onto a WIC-1ADSL interface in a 2651 on the one side and a
VLAN on the other side.  Can't pass traffic over it, but the inbound
packet counters are incrementing on the 2651 side, however I have no
idea what kind of traffic is actually hitting the interface, nor do I
know what the source or destination of the traffic is.

My question in all of this is what's the best way to see all the
traffic coming into this interface?  Attaching a access-list 100
permit ip any any log-input to the interface and/or subinterface via
ip access-group didn't show anything - the interface counters
incremented while the access-list counter didn't.  I can't debug the
ATM (sub)interface, nor can I configure a SPAN port on an ATM
(sub)interface.

Anyone know how I might go about this?  I suppose in a worst case
scenario, I could hook up a DSL modem to the line and plug that into a
wireshark box, but I'm hoping there's a more localized solution.

Thanks in advance.