[c-nsp] Conditional BGP

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Tue Sep 23 09:33:25 EDT 2008

Paul,

They would need to do two things.

1) AS prepend on the routes they advertise to you, so the AS path is
longer than their path through Cogent. This will force most of their
inbound traffic via Cogent.

2) Local pref setting for routes received from you to make them less
desirable than the routes from Cogent. The default is 100, so they could
set your routes to 90 or something.

Both of these are set using a route-map on their side. I'm assuming that
there isn't anything they would want to prefer to route through you
(your peers/customers - Or if Level3 or someone de-peers Cogent again),
but that can be tweaked with route-maps and prefix-list filters.

David