[c-nsp] Virtualization in an enterprise

Higham, Josh jhigham at epri.com
Tue Sep 23 16:51:09 EDT 2008

I am currently investigating using vrf-lite within our company to
support some research requests.  I have some hesitation about
maintaining it, though, especially in a smaller enterprise environment
(4 network techs, ~10 branches).

I am comfortable with the technology, but don't want to increase the
complexity of the network without significant advantages.  More
importantly, I don't want to limit the applicant pool if we need to hire
someone down the road.

Does anyone here have input on support and maintenance of this within an
enterprise environment?

We have sites connected by MPLS (BGP with the provider, but no other
MPLS or vrf type features) with redundancy through an IPSEC VPN over our
internet links.

Thanks for any input that you can provide.

Josh