[c-nsp] Converting OSPF backbone to iBGP

Peter Nyamukusa peter.nyamukusa at africaonline.co.tz
Wed Sep 24 06:23:58 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:19 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Converting OSPF backbone to iBGP

>On Wednesday 24 September 2008 15:52:13 Garry wrote:
>
>> after years of running very smoothly and without any problems (and not
>> expecting any), we have decided to move our backbone from OSPF (single
>> area) to iBGP as far as "best practice" recommendations go ...
>
>This is, indeed, a best practice as far as scaling the autonomous system
goes.

>> I've been trying
>> to find decent write-ups about certain things, but haven't been too
>> successful as far as certain details go ... maybe somebody has some
>> good pointers for me ...
>
>Philip Smith (Cisco) has some very good slides on this and other best
practice scaling techniques for ISP's that he gives at various workshops and
>conferences.
>
>You can Google to find a lot of these.
>
>> OK, so baseline recommendation is to only transport loopback/interface
>> IPs in OSPF, do everything else via iBGP ...
>
>Correct.
>
>> Also, we have CPE devices that speak OSPF to our equipment in order to
>> set up dual uplinks to customer sites ...
>
>As a friend of mine would say, "I recommend my competitors do that..."
>
>But seriously, running an IGP with your customers isn't a good idea (unless
you're doing l3vpn's). I'd recommend running eBGP with your customer's CPE,
>and keep the OSPF "internal".

For me this was one of my considerations (although not the main) for
migrating my IGP from OSPF to ISIS before deploying my MPLS network. We have
some cases were some of the customers are connecting to the ISP using Linux
& Windows as well as other Vendors routers and mainly this is because of
cost and asking them to purchase a router which supports BGP or even
upgrading the IOS or router hardware (memory) on the ones which have routers
is an additional expense. So my plan is to Run IGP as my Core Backbone IGP
and let the customers choose their PE to CE routing protocol
Just my side of the coin considering the environment I am in

Cheers,