[c-nsp] replacing failed 3750 stackwise member

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Sep 24 22:54:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008, matthew zeier wrote:
> Am I overthinking this?  After yesterday's CRG failure
> (blog.mozilla.com/it/) I was left with a failed 3750 and got the RMA
> this evening.
>
> Is it as simple as replacing the dead unit with this one?  I've already
> made sure the replacement is running the same IOS image as the stackwise
> master.

For extra joy, make sure you set its stack member ID to match the failed one.
That way the config that gets placed on the unit should match the config from
the failed unit, rather than it being assigned a new ID.

Do this before you plug it into the stack, or it'll get a new ID, the config
will be updated with even more ports, and you'll be left scratching your head
for a few minutes. :)

Uhm, I think it also inherits the SDM template from the master, but just to be
on the safe side "show sdm prefer" on the stack and make sure your new switch
matches that? (I -think- the SDM template only matters on aggregate switches
entering non-aggregate switch stacks; just keep it in mind if you see weird
stuff.)

Adrian