[c-nsp] Weird Port Loopback Issues with 3750 and ESX 3.5

aaron aaronis at people.net.au
Thu Sep 25 02:15:14 EDT 2008

Hey Guys,

I am hoping some of you out there may have experienced this problem in the
past. We have a spare NIC on a DELL X445 (Broadcom  NetXtreme BCM5793
1000Base-T) running ESX 3.5. No matter what I do I cannot seem to get this
NIC working properly. I have it connected to a 3750 switch GIG GLC-T SFP
port and I am getting err-disable loopback issues where the switch is
actually receiving its own keep alives on the same port.

I have messed with the various duplex / speed settings at both ends and this
doesn't seem to resolve the issue. I have turned off inline power and mdix
auto. The cable is CAT5E UTP. Several cables have been tested and the length
is no longer than 10m. I have connected this NIC to a 3550 series switch and
the exact same thing happens.

I have come to the conclusion that the NIC must be faulty or musn't have the
correct drivers installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron.