[c-nsp] 10/100/1000 speeds in GE SFP ports

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Thu Sep 25 08:40:22 EDT 2008

On (2008-09-25 13:43 +0200), Johannes Resch wrote:

> In ES20, SFP-GE-T work in 10/100/1000 modes (caution: any GLC-* type SFPs
> are not supported with ES20 at all). Not sure about the state of support
> for auto-negotiation though, I personally have only used it with hardcoded
> speeds.

What a sad state of affair. ES20 port price isn't very comparable
to 3750 port price when you just need that 10/100 option.

On a side note I noticed recently that brand spanking new cat4 E
10/100/1000 copper cards don't do auto MDI/X.
I'm pretty sure that MDI/X or multirate have no significant
cost addition, MDI/X doesn't even have business driver not
to include it. I guess multirate has business driver, force customers
to buy more.

I'm really tempted to finance shop that'll produce RJ45 PoE <-> SFP
transceivers. So that you'd buy transceiver that plugs to PoE port
and offers SFP port. You'd get multirate and tons of SFP ports
without the insane mark-up and poor density that vendors offer for
no valid reason other than 'because we can'.

--
  ++ytti