[c-nsp] Debugging Cisco VPN Client Software ... Is it even possible ?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Sep 25 22:02:22 EDT 2008

Mario Spinthiras wrote:
> Ive found that Vista in the past has given me issues. What you can try
> doing is disabling unnecessary protocols on the relevant adapters while
> as keeping the specific one required by the virtual VPN adapter that it

I never tried that.  I haven't had to troubleshoot a non-Vista client
VPN issue since Vista shipped.  The best solution I've found is to
uninstall, reboot and reinstall the latest BETA.  The solution is a joke
but surprisingly it usually works.

> creates. To be honest I found a viable solution by rebooting into Ubuntu
> , deleting my Vista partition and expanding my ext3 to take the whole
> drive. That way I deleted all my problems in one go.

There's a solution that I can sink my teeth into.

> The logfile is kind of off on troubleshooting issues , as is VPN
> entirely unless your familiar with it's debugging and phases. Maybe my
> solution will work for you.

I've had to delve into it before, digging into the nitty gritty of
IPSec.  It's doable but VPN isn't my strong point.  It is doable though.
  I prefer your second solution.

Justin