[c-nsp] SA-VAM2+ usage problem?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Sep 30 14:06:44 EDT 2008

Hi Laszlo,

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 15:55 +0200, Nemeth Laszlo wrote:
> I have two 7201 (c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T3.bin) routers with
> SA-VAM2+ modules.
>
> I have a tunnel interface between this routers. If I make a ~24Mbit/sec
> traffic into this tunnel, the routers CPU's goes to 90%. It was the
> performance without VAM2+ too. So the VAM2+ modul doesn't use?

We currently have a NPE-G1 with SA-VAM2 (not +) doing more or less the
same thing, and it uses ~20% CPU doing about 20 mbit/s through the
tunnel. As far as I can see it's 50/50 interrupt and process routing,
probably the GRE part that's handled in the slow path. I'm not sure, but
a GRE configuration like this and CEF might not be best friends.

When you send the 24mbit/s traffic, what does you "show cpu" say? The
7201 should be an NPE-G2, so you shouldn't get worse results than the
above.

We use 12.4 mainline (IP IPSEC 3DES) by the way, that may make a
difference.

> Our routers config same, only the IP addresses different. The Tunnel
> interface very important, because i run an OSPF protokoll into them.
>
> vpn0# sh pas vam interface
> VPN Acceleration Module Version II+ in slot : 1
> 	Statistics for Hardware VPN Module since the last clear
> 	of counters 4294967 seconds ago
>     988980327 packets in                   988980327 packets out
> 302199518411 bytes in                  318057273220 bytes out
>           230 paks/sec in                        230 paks/sec out
>           562 Kbits/sec in                       592 Kbits/sec out
>             0 pkts compressed                      0 pkts not compressed
>             0 bytes before compress                0 bytes after compress
>         1.0:1 compression ratio                1.0:1 overall
>        526096 commands out                    526096 commands acknowledged
> 	Last 5 minutes:
>          2854900 packets in                     2854900 packets out
>             9516 paks/sec in                       9516 paks/sec out
>         24058078 bits/sec in                   25240088 bits/sec out
>
> In this last line the 24058078 bit/s traffic is normal, it is the
> aggregated traffic on my tunnel0 interface. But the "562 Kbit/sec in"
> and "592 Kbits/sec out" is to small, i think it should ~24000 Kbit/sec.

I think the small numbers are the averages since you last cleared
counters. Are they still too small?

> interface Tunnel0
>   description VPN0-VPN1
>   ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
>   ip ospf cost 100
>   load-interval 30
>   keepalive 2 2
>   tunnel source 192.168.0.1
>   tunnel destination 192.168.1.1
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2
>   description VPN1
>   encapsulation dot1Q 2
>   ip address 192.168.0.1
>   no ip redirects
>   no ip proxy-arp
>   ip nat outside
>   no ip virtual-reassembly
>   crypto map vpnmap
> !

Fragmetation could be problematic too, so we use "ip tcp adjust-mss" on
both the inside interface and the tunnel interface to compensate for the
GRE + IPSec overhead.

Regards,
Peter