[c-nsp] Transparent LAN over Layer3

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Tue Sep 30 22:38:54 EDT 2008

At 10:20 PM 9/30/2008, Paul Stewart wrote:
>Yes, we own the end to end network however it's a routed network in those
>segments...
>router-->router-->router-->switch-->switch-->router-->router-->router-->rout
>er specifically...;)
>
>If we could hand them off a few VLAN's we would just do that and not even
>use Q-in-Q unless we really needed to... but basically I'm looking for
>layer2 transport via layer3 devices...  and there's no option for MPLS in
>this setup...

Take a look at L2TPv3. We use it for all kinds of crazy transport
here. Taking a T1 from one city and one carrier and delivering it to
a customer in our datacenter, handing ATM PVCs off from one router to
another ATM PVC on another router 100 miles away. We haven't used it
for Ethernet, but that sure seems a lot less complicated than the
things we are doing. Anything you put in on one side is transparently
trunked to the other side. It works great and gives you many of the
benefits of MPLS without the need to have a network which supports
MPLS end to end. It is especially useful for small POPs and locations
with older gear.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin