[c-nsp] VRF-lite question on RD's

Brandon Bennett bennetb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:23:14 EDT 2009

My guess is they are doing vrf-lite and using frame-relay or dot1q to bring
these 3 VRFs to you.  Which means the RD (used for MPLS L3VPNs) are only
locally significant in the case of vrf-lite and are arbitrary numbers.   It
would be nice if Cisco didn't require RD's for vrf-lite cause they service
no purpose.

Now the import and export statements in vrf-lite also serve no purpose, but
also not required.  Interesting that they exist in the config.

As long as no interfaces are configured with 'mpls ip'  and you don't have a
'address-family vpnv4' configured under BGP those values are meaningless
outside of the local router.

HTH,

Brandon