[c-nsp] VRF-lite question on RD's

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Apr 2 12:32:16 EDT 2009

ChrisSerafin <> wrote on Thursday, April 02, 2009 17:59:

> I have 3 VRF's on a CE router:
>

> ip vrf xxx-General
>  rd 1:10
>  route-target export 1:10
>  route-target import 1:10
> !
> ip vrf xxx-Guest
>  rd 1:30
>  route-target export 1:30
>  route-target import 1:30
> !
> ip vrf xxx-Voice
>  rd 1:20
>  route-target export 1:20
>  route-target import 1:20
>
> I just got 3 new VRF's from the ISP confgured, and I'm wondering what
> numbers I need to have for the 'rd' and 'route-target xxport'
> commands...? Are these arbitrary, come from the ISP, or can I just use
> 40, 50, and 60?

In a vrf-lite environment, RDs are local to the router, so you can pick
any (as long as it's unique on the router). you only need route-target
if you're running BGP on the node to leak routes from one VRF to
another.. doesn't look  like you're doing any leaking, so I don't think
you need any route-targets

	oli